Thursday, March 20, 2008

Behind the Razor Wire


Recently in our newsletter at camp, A directive from the warden said that any officer or staff member who carries a fire arm in their vehicle,must register make, model and serial numbers with the warden's office. Well since my General contractor days when I often carried large sums of money, I have had a license to carry a concealed weapon. Recent changes had caused me to replace the usual gun I had in my truck to one I didn't particularly care for and seeing as I was working for the state with security everywhere I decided to just stop carrying a weapon. This is where it get a little fuzzy. A co-worker had said that he had a problem with the state having that information when the sheriff didn't require that info to get a permit. I concurred and thought no more about it. Yesterday I get a call at home (I was off for a Dr. appointment) from an officer who tells me that he received a call from his Capt. that he was told by whomever,inmate or officer, that I had said that it was none of the warden's business about my firearm and I would not co-operate with the directive. He went on to say that I should expect my truck to be searched, and he went on to describe my truck in some detail and that I should expect to be called to the warden's office. OK.. I replied in a calm voice that I welcome any opportunity to speak with the warden and I had expected to be searched from time to time , so to me whats the big deal? Let me get this straight, I am being called to the warden's office because someone said I said something in a disparaging way? And the warden has time for this stuff? So I devised, if it happened, what I would say; Good to see you again warden, I'm not sure why I'm here, no one's talking, have I committed a crime? or violated some administrative regulation I'm not aware of? Oh ,someone said I said that? OK, can I face my accuser? Capt got a tip huh? OK..I believe this is the same officer that only three weeks ago was told by an officer where inmates had a cell phone. My inmate don't view me as a threat and will often share information with me that someone else is doing just to not be involved and not be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Well it seems that an inmate came to me with where a cell phone his cell mate uses can be found. I relayed this information to an officer and he contacted this Capt. Three weeks later during a routine shakedown the cell phone is found in the possession box of the inmate who told me and he was given a citation which is loss of privileges. When the inmate went to see the Capt. to tell him that he could call the officer who called him he would explain the mix up. He was informed by the Capt. that there was nothing he could do. Warden, If your officers have nothing better to do then make their warden look foolish, then here are the keys to my truck and they can bring the dog squad, I&I the Capt. and anyone else who isn't busy hunting knives and dope and cell phones and meet in the parking lot and take my truck apart. Later I cleaned my truck out of anything that might be objectionable like documents on the Fair Labor Standards Act and other evidence I have been collecting on non-compliance with Federal law. That another issue to be dealt with...

No comments:

Post a Comment