Saturday, June 21, 2008

Through the years I have had a view from many different perspectives and being human some have changed my outlook on many issues. At my age I would expect to encounter health concerns that left unnoticed could cause serious problems. As a child, born in the early 40's shoes and non-essential clothing were options during the hot months of summer with out air conditioning, all our days were spent outside left to our own devices as to amuse ourselves and baseball and a backyard game we called cork ball was a pastime. All games were sunshine enjoyed and thats where our problems began. It took many years for us to learn that too much sun was not always a good thing but by then it was already written what was going to happen. You guessed it; skin cancer for those of us of lighter skin tone and not just one kind, moles became one kind and freckles another, and seemingly plain skin something else.Well, anyway, I am getting away from the subject and we all have had our stories dealing with curves and fastballs life has thrown at us and we deal with it and go on.So suffice it to say that I am a survivor with a detailed experience record. Recently I encountered a perspective I was unfamiliar with, I started driving in 1960, and in all the years since, have never encountered a problem where I caused or was involved in an accident because I drove very defensively and in some encounters, lucky. I commute daily to my job almost 30 miles away and having driven that route for many years was aware of all trouble spots and how I should react if a problem arises. Well it seems I wasn't prepared for what happened this week as I headed to work. In a area where most traffic chooses to turn left and favor a more traveled road, the car in front of me indicated the turn and to borrow a phrase from football, deeked a move and then stopped when they saw an approaching car from around the curve, I, anticipating the turn did not alter my speed and was quickly aware of an impending collision. Seeing no option other then breaking hard and avoiding contact applied my brakes and aimed towards the space between the stopped car and the shoulder and that when things got weird, leaving the roadway I struck the bank with my right tow hook "I drive a 4x4 f250 " and fliped over and struck the bank with the roof of my truck and rolled over facing the direction I was comming from hanging from my seatbelt upside down. Now I don't like upside down, addiled, but aware, I turned my ignition off, and tried to release my seatbelt, but with all my weight hanging from it, I had difficulty but was aided by the person in the car that had stopped. For a fleeting moment, looking out my windshield, hanging upside down having dodged a maglite, umbrella and a safety kit flying around inside my cab, I must be blessed because it doesn't get any better then walking away from a total wreck without a scratch...I'm gonna miss that truck, one of the best I have ever had......

No comments:

Post a Comment